There are a few steps that patients need to take prior to anesthesia. First, you should not eat or drink anything at least 8 hours prior to surgery and refrain from smoking 12 hours prior to surgery. You will need someone to accompany you to the surgery and drive you home after. On the day of surgery, do not wear any jewelry, contact lenses or dentures. If you regularly take medications, discuss those with the doctor to ensure that they are approved prior to surgery. Other than these simple considerations, there is nothing else you need to do to prepare for surgery.
IV Conscious Sedation
If IV conscious sedation is chosen, you will not be unconscious at any time during the procedure, though will most likely not remember the procedure. Local anesthetics will still be used to control pain in your mouth during the procedures performed. As a result of the drug that you will be taking, certain precautions must be observed:
- Advise us of any medications or pills you are taking or any changes in your health. Do not take any medications without our knowledge and approval.
- Do not eat or drink 6 hours before surgery appointment. This includes water. No alcoholic beverages should be consumed 24 hours prior to surgery appointment.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing with either short sleeves, or sleeves that can be easily drawn up past your elbow to allow for placement of the monitoring equipment. Do not wear nail polish or artificial nails for the same reason.
- You must be accompanied by an adult who can drive you to your dental appointment, and arrange for responsible supervision for several hours after your dental appointment. You will not be allowed to drive or take public transportation. The escort must be able to transport you home immediately after your appointment.
- You will be asked to sign consent forms prior to the procedure.
- Full mental alertness will not return for several hours and you should limit activities that require your full concentration. You will not be able to:
- Drive an automobile, handle a firearm, or operate machinery
- Undertake business matters
- Drink alcohol beverages
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN YOUR SURGERY BEING CANCELLED OR REQUIRE SURGERY TO BE DONE UNDER A LOCAL ANESTHETIC.